|ІНФІНІТИВ - THE INFINITIVE (ВПРАВИ З ВІДПОВІДЯМИ) 2|
ІНФІНІТИВ - THE INFINITIVE
1. Open the brackets and choose the Infinitive in the Active or Passive Voice.
1. They are glad (invite/be invited) to the party.
2. I don't like (interrupt/be interrupted).
3. He will be happy (see/be seen) you.
4. I was glad (meet/be met) at the station.
5. Children like (tell/be told) tales and always (listen/be listened) to them with interest.
6. I did not think (interrupt/be interrupted) you.
7. He is glad (send/be sent) abroad.
8. He likes (ask/be asked) his professor questions.
9. He does not like (ask/be asked) questions because he does not know how to answer them.
10. Be careful with him. He is a very resentful person. He can't bear (joke/be joked at).
11. He does not like (laugh/be laughed) at other people.
12. Look, a ship can (see/be seen) in the distance. Can you (see/be seen) it?
2. Change the sentences according to the examples.
Example: It is simple to solve this problem. — This problem is simple to solve.
It is difficult to speak to such people. — Such people are difficult to speak to.
1. It is expensive to buy a mink coat.
2. It is impossible to get a good dinner in our canteen.
3. It was difficult to start an engine in such cold weather.
4. It is dangerous to stand on this ladder.
5. It is rather difficult to deal with stubborn people.
6. It is dangerous to drive a car in big cities.
7. It is interesting to meet new people.
8. It is simple to'communicate with people due to Internet.
9. It was unpleasant to watch their quarrel.
10. It is always funny to listen to him.
Example: He came to the party the last. — He was the last to come to the party.
1. He is the only one among us who gave up smoking.
2. I was the next who spoke on the topic.
3, He was the first who raised this question.
4. She was the second who got an excellent mark.
5. Paul was the last who greeted me.
6. She 13 the first who was fired.
7. He was the only one who jumped with a parachute.
8. I am the next who will be interviewed.
9. He was the only one who could speak Japanese.
10. I was the first who noticed the mistake.
11. His horse came in the race the last.
12. She was the first among us who recognized them.
Example: It was the best time when she could find them at home. —
It was the best time for her to find them at home.
1. Here is a simple English book that you can read.
2. The first thing they must do when they arrive is to phone home.
3. This is a problem you should solve by yourself.
4. There is nothing that we can add.
5. These are children you can play with.
6. It is not a question you may laugh at.
7. There is nothing that we can do now.
8. These are nice flowers you can buy.
9. It was a little town where they could live a quiet life.
10. It is quite natural that they will get married.
3. Make up new sentences beginning with It was. Use one of the adjectives from the box.
The first is done for you.
Example: Mary invited'us to the party. — It was nice of Mary to invite us to the party.
1. He bought a car but he can't drive.
2. She betrayed all her friends. Nobody wants to speak to her.
3. They helped with the work.
4. The manager cut down his salary, though he is the best worker in the team.
5. He sold his house when it cost $45,000. Now such a house costs $40,000.
6. You made a serious mistake when you trusted her.
7) to be sent; 8) to ask; 9) to be asked; 10) to be joked at; 11) to laugh; 12) be seen, see
1, A mink coat is expensive to buy.
2. A good dinner in our canteen is impossible to get.
3. The engine was difficult to start in such cold weather.
4. This ladder is dangerous to stand on.
5. Stubborn people are rather difficult to deal with.
6. A car is dangerous to drive in big cities.
7. New people are interesting to meet.
8. People are simple to communicate with due to Internet.
9. Their quarrel was unpleasant to watch.
10. He is always funny to listen to.
1. He is the only one among us to give up smoking.
2. I was the next to speak on the topic.
3. He was the first to raise this question.
4 She was the second to get an excellent mark.
5. Paul was the last to greet me.
6. She is the first to be fired.
7. He was the only one to jump with a parachute.
8. I am the next to be interviewed.
9. He was the only one to speak Japanese.
10. I was the first to notice the mistake.
11. His horse was the last to come in the race.
12. She was the first among us to recognize them.
1. Here is a simple English book for you to read.
2. The first thing for them to do when they arrive is to phone home.
3. This is a problem for you to solve by yourself.
4. There is nothing for us to add.
5. These are children for you to play with.
6. It is not a question for you to laugh at.
7. There is nothing for us to do now.
8. These are nice flowers for you to buy.
9. It was a little town for them to live a quiet life,
10. It is quite natural for them to get married.
1. It was silly of him to buy a car.
2. It was mean of her to betray all her friends.
3, It was kind of them to help me with the work.
4. It was unfair of the manager to cut down his salary.
5. It was sensible of him to sell his house.
6. It was careless or you to trust her.